Henderson County was established December 15, 1838 by an act of the North Carolina Legislature. The area was settled after 1785 when the Cherokee Nation moved to the west side of the Pigeon River. The county seat was named Hendersonville and was located on the Turnpike that was built in 1825. The property for the town was donated by James Brittain, Mitchell King and John Johnson.

The Henderson County Genealogical and Historical Society, Inc. was organized in 1983. This non-profit, educational, and cultural organization promotes research into the heritage of Henderson County by collecting, preserving and publishing the history of Henderson County, North Carolina and of her people.

We welcome donations. Donations may be made directly to the Society and may be designated for a specific program or to purchase needed equipment and reference materials.

We also have an Endowment Fund that is administered by the Community Foundation of Henderson County, Inc. The principal of the Fund will always remain with the Foundation; the income will be distributed to the Society. A gift to the Endowment Fund will help ensure the long-term success of the History Center including the research library, the archives and the gallery. Contributions to the Endowment Fund should be made payable and mailed to:

Community Foundation of Henderson County, Inc.

PO Box 1108

Hendersonville, NC 28793-1108

and designated for the Henderson County Genealogical and Historical Society. We are a 501(c)(3) corporation. Contributions are tax deductible.

Phone: 828-693-1531

E-mail: hcghs@bellsouth.net

400 North Main Street

Hendersonville, NC 28792

Henderson County Genealogical & Historical Society, Inc.

Copyright 2008 Henderson County Genealogical & Historical Society, Inc.